If you do not wish to provide personal information to us, then you do not have to do so, however it may affect your use of this site or any products and services offered on it.
Collection of your personal information
There are many aspects of our website which can be viewed without providing personal information, however personally identifiable information will be collected when requesting information, purchasing merchandise or making a booking. This information may include but is not limited to full name, email, address, phone number, date of birth, gender and billing information (such as credit card number, cardholder name and expiration date).
We collect information about you that we reasonably need for our business functions and activities and which is required by law. Our business functions and activities include:
- Providing you with travel or event services, merchandise and/or related products – these services and products are described generally on our websites, our brochures, advertising, our letters, emails and communications to customers.
- Activities in support of those functions and departments within the company that provide services to our suppliers and clients.
- Activities we plan for the future including new ways of communicating, new products and services, new business models and new businesses.
- Customer support features to access personally identifiable information. This may include but not is limited to a unique username and password, or provide sensitive information in the recovery of your lost password.
- We may combine your contact details with other information about you, for example:
- Details related to your travel and event preferences including preferred products and services.
- Records of your travel and events including service provider, itinerary, payment details (including credit card details) and other details.
- Your membership or affiliate programs, if applicable.
- If you apply for a position with us, we collect information to help us decide your application, including ability to work in Australia, work history and similar details.
- If you request information from us (for example about a product or service) or register a complaint, we collect information about your request or complaint.
- If you enter a promotion or competition, visit us at an event or enquire about Youth Travel we may collect your contact details so that we can follow up on your enquiry or interest by sending you marketing material.
- We record your information in our database whilst we deal with you. We will delete or de-identify this information from our database if requested by you, or when we have no further need to keep a record of it, except if we are required to keep it by law.
Where personal information is used or disclosed, Youth Travel takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure it is relevant to the purpose for which it is to be used or disclosed. You are under no obligation to provide your personal information to Youth Travel. However, without certain information from you, Youth Travel may not be able to provide its products and/or services to you.
How we collect information from you
Generally, we collect personal information directly from you. We may record your contact details when you call us, fill out a profile, or any other form, enter a competition, or when you purchase a product or service, participate in a transaction, provide your contact details via web, mobile or email or when you ask us for information or request something from us.
Sometimes we collect personal information about you from another person or from a publicly available source, e.g.
- Associated organisations including school or college, employer or membership programs which may give us your details in relation to booking a product or service with us.
- If you enter a networking event, promotion or competition organised by us, we may be given your name and contact details by the promoter of the event.
- Our service providers may provide us with your personal information from websites, social media sites, mobile, and other technology based sources.
For each visitor to our site, (including ecommerce sites, social media sites and mobile sites if relevant) we (or our service or hosting provider), expressively collect the following identifiable information, including but not limited to browser type, version and language, operating system, pages viewed while browsing the Site, page access times, downloads, your IP address or referring website address
Collected information is used solely internally for the purpose of gauging visitor traffic, trends and delivering personalized content to you while you are at our Site.
Use of your personal information
From time to time, we may use customer information for new, unanticipated uses not previously disclosed in our privacy notice. If our information practices change at some time in the future we will use only for these new purposes, data collected from the time of the policy change forward will adhere to our updated practices.
We may use your personal information, including your contact details, to provide you with information about products and services, including those of third parties, which we consider may be of interest to you.
Your Rights and Choices
A ‘cookie’ is a small text file which is stored within your computer or browser, which we access each time you visit our website. We may link the information we store in cookies to any personal information you submit while on our website.
You may change the settings on your browser to block or reject cookies, or delete our cookies, however, doing so will prevent you from accessing certain areas or features of our website.
For details on how to opt-out of Google Analytics download the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on, visit: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/
Should you no longer wish to receive marketing information including emails, e-newsletters or other promotional material, participate in market research or receive other communications from us, you may opt-out at any time.
In order to do so, you will need to request that we no longer send marketing materials to you or disclose your information to other organisations for marketing purposes. You can make this request by using the contact details provided below or by using the ‘unsubscribe’ feature present in our emails or other marketing messages.
When we receive emails from you we retain the content of the email and our response to you where we consider it necessary to do so. Your email address will only be used or disclosed for the purpose for which is was provided. It will not be added to any mailing lists or used for any other purpose without your consent.
Please note that we reserve the right to send you certain communications relating to your account or use of the Services and these transactional account messages may be unaffected even if you opt-out from marketing communications.
When we need to communicate time sensitive deals to you that may be of interest and make it easy for you to take advantage of these opportunities we will send details via SMS.
We may also need to send reminders pertaining to the expiry dates of certificates you may hold. This will be account notifications only.
Please note that you will have the opportunity to choose not to receive these SMS messages in any such SMS we send.
We make reasonable efforts to ensure that the most up-to-date security measures are used on our website to protect your personal information. Any data containing personal information which we transmit via the internet is encrypted. However, we cannot guarantee that any information transmitted via the internet by us, or yourself, is entirely secure. You use our website at your own risk.
We will delete or de-identify your information from our websites, applications or databases when we have no further need to keep a record of it, except if we are required to keep it by law (for example, for tax or legislative purposes).
Links on our website
We hold your personal information in both paper-based and electronic files. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information which is held by us is protected from loss and misuse, and from unauthorized access, modification, disclosure and interference.
We maintain various physical, electronic and managerial security systems and procedures in order to protect your personal information, and regularly review these systems and procedures.
Sharing of your personal information
We may disclose personal information for travel, event or related purposes including our products and services to you, and as required by law
We may share your personal information with any accommodation, event or travel service provider, related to your purchased merchandise, voucher or booking. This information may be used to contact and communicate with you for the purpose of confirming, booking and delivering our product or service.
When we sell products and services to you, we do so as agent for the wholesaler or provider of those products and services. This means that we usually collect personal information about you both for our internal purposes, and on behalf of the parties for whom we act as agent for their internal purposes. Accordingly, the consent you provide under this Policy to the collection of personal information by us, applies equally to the parties whose products and services we sell. For example, if you purchase a hotel booking from us, then under this policy you will have consented to your personal information being used by us, being provided to that hotel to enable your accommodation to be booked and being used by the hotel.
We act as agent for many hundreds of companies, so it is not possible for us to set out in this statement exactly how each of these companies will use your personal information, but we are happy to provide more specific information to you if you contact us as detailed in this Policy.
We may occasionally hire other companies to provide services on our behalf, including but not limited to handling customer support enquiries, processing transactions or shipping. Those companies will be permitted to obtain only the personal information they need to deliver the service. Youth Travel takes reasonable steps to ensure that these organisations are bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations in relation to the protection of your personal information.
Information Disclosed to Third Parties
We may disclose your personal information:
- As permitted or required by law;
- To various regulatory bodies and law enforcement officials and agencies to protect against fraud and for related security purposes;
- To our third party service providers as well as to our related entities;
- To third parties such as accommodation providers, entertainment and events providers, travel providers and leisure activities service providers for the purpose for which the information was collected to facilitate and process your travel, holiday or event.
- To third parties we have contracted with who may involve you in market research for the purpose of servicing our relationship with you and improving the services we provide.
The third parties to whom we disclose your personal information may also be taken to have collected your personal information in their own right, for their internal use. For more information, see the heading above, titled “Sharing of Your Personal Information” when we act as agent.
Where we engage third party contractors to perform services for us those third party contractors may be required to handle your personal information. Under these circumstances those third party contractors must safeguard this information and must only use it for the purpose for which it was supplied.
Other than the above, we will not disclose your personal information without your consent unless disclosure is either necessary to prevent a threat to life or health, authorised or required by law, reasonably necessary to enforce the law or necessary to investigate a suspected unlawful activity.
Accessing Your Personal Information
You may request details of personal information that we hold about you, in certain circumstances set out in the Privacy Act by forwarding your request to our email address.
If we refuse access, we will provide you with a written notice which sets out the reasons for the refusal and the relevant provisions of the Privacy Act that we rely on to refuse access. We may recover reasonable costs in relation to a request for access to personal information.
If you believe that any information we hold on you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, please contact us by email. We rely in part upon customers advising us when their personal information changes. We will respond to any request within a reasonable time. We will endeavour to promptly correct any information found to be inaccurate, incomplete or out of date.
If we do not agree with the corrections you have requested, we are not obliged to alter your personal information accordingly. However, where we refuse to correct any personal information as requested by you, we will give you a written notice which sets out the reasons for our refusal.
Once a complaint has been lodged, we will respond to you as soon as possible.
For further information from Youth Travel please contact Operations Manager, Youth Travel Pty Ltd
Phone: 1300 050 600
Last update: 6 May 2019